Sunday, May 1, 2011

Cheddar and Bacon Quiche

I find most of these recipes online and I have yet to make something that did not taste amazing. This is a "bacon and cheddar" quiche...but I added in tons of vegetables. I have store bought diced veggies that are on the verge of going bad, so I used this as a way to make use of them. Either stick to the recipe or add in whatever is in your fridge.

Cheddar and Bacon Quiche - as you can see I put in red and green bell pepper...gives it  flavor and make it more colorful

Quiche served with the Salmon on Toast (not recommended)

Watch out Rachel Ray!


I orginally planned on making this for breakfast, but turned out being my lunch. I wasn't sure what to pair it with so I put some smoked salmon on a piece of wheat toast topped with cream cheese. It was not good (my own creation). It's not the kind of smoked salmon you're probably thinking about...it's the cheapo packaged salmon that you refriderate and serve cold. I bought it because it was buy one get get one free...not good. But it looks pretty with the Quiche :-)

Prep Time:20 min
Start to Finish:1 hr 5 min
makes:8 servings
 
 
1 1/2cups Bisquick Heart Smart® mix
2tablespoons canola oil
3tablespoons boiling water (you don't really have to boil the water, just hot tap water)
4slices bacon, cooked, crumbled (I just threw in the packaged already cooked bacon I had)
1/2cup shredded reduced-fat sharp Cheddar cheese (2 oz)
4medium green onions, thinly sliced (1/4 cup)
2whole eggs
2egg whites
1 1/4cups fat-free (skim) milk
1/2teaspoon ground mustard (I didn't have this and did not use it...still tasted fantastic)
1/4teaspoon salt
1/2teaspoon red pepper sauce (Did not have this ingredient either...still good!) 











DIRECTIONS:    




Heat oven to 400°F.

Spray 9-inch glass pie plate with cooking spray. 
In medium bowl, stir Bisquick mix and oil until blended.
Add boiling water; stir vigorously until soft dough forms (1 to 2 teaspoons more water can be added if necessary). Press dough in bottom and up side of pie plate.
Sprinkle bacon, cheese and onions over crust. NOTE: Now is the time to add in any extra veggies
In medium bowl, beat eggs, egg whites, milk, mustard, salt and pepper sauce with wire whisk until blended. Pour into crust. Cover edge of crust with strips of foil to prevent excessive browning. (OMG - I had the hardest time putting tin foil over the crust!!!)
Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until center is set. Remove foil strip. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting.




Nutrition: 1 Serving: Calories 190 (Calories from Fat 80); Total Fat 9g (Saturated Fat 2g, Trans Fat 0g)


My boyfriend and I had the Quiche on Saturday for lunch. Today is my day off from cooking and we had leftovers. The Quiche was even better today then it was yesterday. Great dish!






No comments:

Post a Comment