Sunday, May 1, 2011

BBQ Steak Wraps served with Baked Mac and Cheese

Steak...it's what's for dinner. At least on Saturday night it was. I thought I did not like steak. I made the decision when I was 5 that steak was gross. I also thought steak couldn't be healthy...wrong about that. Having some red meat in your diet is good. For this recipe we used 1 ribeye steak (it was think and lean). This dinner consisted of two new recipes...the Steak Wrap and the Mac and Cheese. I will provide information for both. This was my boyfriends second favorite meal yet...the first being the Thai Peanut Sauce Salmon. I think this might have been my favorite second favorite as well.

Before the wrap got wrapped

Baked Mac and Cheese

BBQ Steak Wrap Served with Baked Mac and Cheese

4 8-inch whole wheat/fat free tortillas (NOTE - I recommend using a flatbread...it's more durable)
2 cups of baby spinach (bagged)
1 cup frozen corn, thawed
1 cup canned black beans, rinsed/drained
.5 cup low fat cheddar cheese
2 cups thinly sliced cooked steak -OR-
2 cups of thinly sliced boneless skinless chicken breast
4 tbs BBQ sauce

Directions

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Top each tortilla with even amounts of spinach, corn, beans, cheese and steak. Drizzle BBQ sauce over and wrap them up.

Heat through in baking dish lightly coated with cooking spray for 10 minutes or until lightly browned.

Number of Servings: 4 (I only made 2 servings)


Nutritional Info: 8.2 grams of fat/340 calories/47 carbs/22.9 grams protein.


BAKED MAC AND CHEESE:
This made A LOT of mac and cheese. If only cooking for two, I recommend scaling back on the ingredients and using a smaller casserole dish. However, the mac and cheese is a good reheated (just had some). I was a tad disappointed with the flavor of this dish. My boyfriend thought it tasted fine...I thought it was a little bland. Bland, but still really good for healthy mac and cheese. Oh and the recipe calls for a 3qt casserole pan. Use one that is deep and not long like mine (see photo above). The results will be better.

NOTE: PRINT OUT THE CONVERSION CHART I HAVE POSTED, OR FIND ONE ONLINE...YOU WILL NEED IT FOR THIS RECIPE!!!!

12 oz uncooked elbow macaroni
1/2 cup fat free sour cream
12 oz fat free evaporated milk
1 cup low fat cheddar cheese
1 Tbsp Dijon Mustard
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
2 Tbsp dried bread crumbs
2 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese

DIRECTIONS:
Preheat oven to 350.

Cook pasta according to package, drain, and transfer into a VERY large bowl.

While pasta is still hot, stir in the sour cream and set aside.

Heat milk in a small saucepan over medium heat until tiny bubbles appear just around the edges (known as scalding).

Reduce heat to low, add cheese, and simmer until cheese melts...stirring constantly with a wire whisk.

Remove from heat and stir in mustard, salt, pepper, and nutmeg.

Add cheese mixture to pasta and mix well. Transfer to a 3 quart casserole dish.

Combine bread crumbs and Parmesan Cheese then sprinkle over pasta.

Bake until top is golden...about 30 minutes. Yields about 1 cup per serving.

NUTRITION: 4.7 grams fat/165 calories/17 carbs

3 comments:

  1. Victoria. Thanks for sharing the recipes. I found your blog from a comment you left about the Shake Weight. Still using it regularly? You should check out the extra exercises at Shake Weight extreme.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Nick..no problem for sharing the recipes. If you try any of them, let me know how you like them. Of course I still use the shake weight. I just got it recently and have already noticed a huge difference in how my arms look...much more toned! I do the 6 min dvd and shake it randomly throughout the day. I checked out the additional exercises and can't wait to try them! I do all the exercises already (to tone my tummy and legs) so it will be nice to add the shake weight to them. Let me know if there are any other shake weight tips you have!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice blog.
    Gorgeous blog. I liked it.
    its excellent
    It's a really nice information, I think that it's a realted blogs. it's a nice format of picture..
    Bakery Equipment

    ReplyDelete