Saturday, May 14, 2011

Best Cheeseburgers EVER!

Who knew you could have a healthy cheeseburger. One of my favorite foods used to be McDonald's double cheeseburgers. I will take this burger over McDonald's any day! This recipe is great because you can use extra lean ground beef, turkey, or chicken. I chose to use ground chicken because it is the leanest. Also, if you are counting carbs, use the thin hamburger buns instead of a regular one. I'm not counting carbs, but I had the thin buns and did not feel like going out and buying whole wheat ones. You can grill these burgers using a grill pan or an outside grill. My apartment does not allow us to have grills :-( so I used a grill pan.




Makes 4 servings:

1 lb extra lean ground beef, chicken, or turkey
1/3 cup BBQ sauce
4 large red onion slices (or more if you want...I think I used sweet yellow onion instead because that's what I had on hand.)
4 American cheese singles
4 whole wheat hamburger buns
1 tomato cut into 4 slices

Directions:
  1. Mix meat and 2 Tbsp of the BBQ sauce.
  2. Shape into 4 thick patties and set aside.
  3. Brush onions with 1 Tbsp of the remaining BBQ sauce.
  4. Grill patties and onions until burgers are cooked and onions are tender, brushing burgers with the remaining BBQ sauce.
  5. Top burgers with cheese slices right before they are done grilling to melt cheese.
  6. Toast/Grill Buns (optional)
  7. Assemble your cheeseburger!

No comments:

Post a Comment