Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Salmon with Thai Peanut Sauce (AMAZING!!!)

This has been my favorite recipe yet. It is easy to prepare and a fresh take on salmon. My boyfriend and I agreed that we should have this meal once a week. I served the salmon over jasmine rise and grilled tomatoes and red onions. If you want to save yourself time prepping in all recipes buy the packages of vegetables that are already diced for you. I also served a bowl of hot and sour rice noodle soup as the side dish. I found the soup in the ethnic foods aisle. The one prepackaged soup bowl was plenty for 2 people. The jasmine rice was Uncle Ben's 90 second rice. The original recipe gave the ingredients to make your own peanut sauce...that was a little to much for me. I went the easy route and bought peanut sauce, which is also found in the ethnic food aisle. If you like salmon and Thai food then this dish will be a favorite!


Ingredients (2 servings):

Salmon (I used a frozen salmon fillet, which came on a wooden plank. It was actually just 1 piece and I cut in half to make 2 servings. I don't think one person could eat the WHOLE thing. You can find this frozen plank salmon at Publix. It was only $9.99)
Peanut Sauce
Diced Tomatoes
Diced red onions
Jasmine rice (optional)
The green parts of scallions for garnish (optional)
Thai Kitchen Hot & Sour Rice Noodle Soup Bowl (optional)

Directions:

If you are using FROZEN salmon follow the directions to defrost it. In my case I had to submerge the vacuum sealed salmon on wood plank in cold water for 30-40 min.

I suppose cooking methods may vary depending on what type of salmon you have (fresh, frozen, frozen with a plank, etc), so you may have to tweak my directions a bit.

While the salmon is defrosting, preheat oven to 425. Once my fish was defrosted I just had to remove it from the package and place the plank with the fish on it in the oven. Bake for 17-20 minutes.

Using a grill pan, grill the red onions and tomatoes and then set aside.

If you want to serve the soup as a side dish, put it in the microwave about 3 minutes before fish is done baking in oven. After the soup is done cooking, set aside.

When the salmon is done baking, transfer from oven to grill pan. Grill for a few minutes in pan and spread peanut sauce over fillet. Grill for a few minutes more (to let sauce seep in).

If you want to serve the salmon over rice, now is the time to microwave the Jasmine rice for 90 seconds. When the rice is done cooking, put 1 cup on each plate.

Sprinkle grilled red onions and tomatoes over rice and place the salmon on top.

Note: The salmon I used had skin on one side. When we cut the fillet in half my boyfriend kept the skin on his half and I cut the skin off of mine.

Drizzle more peanut sauce over salmon when plated (optional)

Sprinkle scallion to garnish (optional)

If you chose to serve the soup as a side, pour it into 2 bowls and serve with plated fish.

Nutrition: 

Salmon on Rice - 490 calories and 17 grams of fat.
Hot and Sour Soup - 150 calories and 2 grams of fat
*I was so full from the salmon I could barely eat half of my soup. If you serve a side dish, make sure it is light.



This dish was so simple to prepare and the best meal I have had in a long time. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

No comments:

Post a Comment