Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Egg White Omelet with Zucchini Fries

This is what I had for lunch today - egg white omelet with zucchini fries. I made a pretty big lunch because all I had for breakfast was a carnation instant breakfast...so I could afford to make whatever I wanted. You don't have to pair these two together, however, they do go well together. My entire meal was 508 calories. All of the fat came from the omelet.






I'm not going to explain how to make an omelet...I think most of you know. If you don't know how then you can look it up online. If you want to follow my exact omelet here is the info: I used Egg Beaters Egg Whites to make my omelet (3/4 of a cup). Inside my omelet I put in diced onion and celery, 1/4 cup REGULAR Kraft shredded cheddar cheese, and 2 slices of turkey bacon (crumbled).

Now the hard part of the meal...the Zucchini Fries. There is a trick to making these. The first time around you may have some issues. I did. The key is to spray a lot of olive oil/cooking spray over all exposed areas of flour in order to make the "fries: crispy. It's worth the hassle. A crispy outside with warm tender zucchini on the inside. And dip them in low fat ranch dressing...sooooooooooo yummy.

--- Portions of ingredients will vary depending on how many fries you are making.

Nutritional Content for Zucchini Fries (prepared as I made them):

213 calories
0.6 grams fat


Ingredients (based on what I prepared)

1 1/2 zucchini (cut into sticks.) 
Canola oil cooking spray 
1/4 cup whole wheat flour

1/4 cup all-purpose flour 
1 tablespoon cornmeal
1/2 teaspoon salt 
1/4 teaspoon pepper 
1 egg whites, lightly beaten <--- I used egg white substitute

Directions (The picture below is how the fries are SUPPOSED to look. But mine were still really good :-P)

  1. Preheat oven to 475 degrees. Coat a large baking sheet with cooking spray.
  2. Combine flours, cornmeal, salt and pepper into a mixing bowl
  3. Pour egg whites into a bowl.
  4. Dip zucchini in egg whites and then coat with flour mixture. 
  5. Place zucchini on baking sheet, coat all exposed sides with cooking spray.
  6. Bake on center rack for 7 minutes,
  7. Turn zucchini and coat any floury spots with cooking spray. Continue to bake until golden and just tender, about 5 minutes more. Serve hot and with the dipping sauce of your choice. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment