Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Baked Egg Cups

I found this recipe online and it seemed super easy to prepare...which it was. What I did not anticipate was how long it actually takes for the egg cups to bake. It's pretty much a scrambled egg muffin and you can add WHATEVER you want to it. It's a great breakfast on the go or a snack...but since I am dieting and can only have one, unless I need to make several (to feed my boyfriend or if I had kids), then I would not recommend taking the time to make just one egg cup.





Ingredients:

Eggs (one for each egg cup you want to make)

1/4 cup Shredded Cheese (any kind you want - as long as it's 2% - I used mild cheddar)
*I used 1/4 cheese to make these 2 egg cups. If you are making more, adjust the amount)

Sliced Deli Ham (try to get the larger slices because the ham is what lines the muffin pan and holds the egg)

Anything you would like to have in the egg cup...I chopped up microwavable turkey bacon and onions and used that. I would have used more items if I had them in my fridge.
*Nutritional info is based off of what I used in my cups.

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350.

Spray muffin tin with cooking spray.

Arrange the ham slices so they line the muffin cup completely, edges should stick up above the rim.
*That's why it is important to get larger sliced ham. The sliced ham I used was too small. Also, if the ham is very thin then you may want to put two slices to line the muffin cups.

Place pan in oven and bake for 10 minutes.

While ham is cooking in oven - prepare your "batter": crack an egg per cup into a bowl. Stir (like you are making scrambled eggs). Add in cheese, sliced bacon, diced onions...or ANYTHING you want. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.

When the ham is done cooking, evenly spoon the egg batter into each ham cup. Put back in the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes.

Remove egg cups and enjoy!

I had slight problem getting the egg cups to bake all the way. The recipe initially said they only needed to bake for 10 min. I could still see a little soggy yolk, so I put them back in for an additional 5 min. I guess you could always pop it in the microwave for a minute or so if there is just a little left to be cooked.

Nutritional Info
  • Servings Per Recipe: 1
  • Amount Per Serving
  • Calories: 128.1
  • Total Fat: 5.1 g
  • Cholesterol: 127.8 mg
  • Sodium: 325.8 mg
  • Total Carbs: 1.1 g
  • Dietary Fiber: 0.0 g
  • Protein: 14.0 g

No comments:

Post a Comment