Friday, June 3, 2011

BBQ Chicken Sloppy Joes

This recipe is a deviation from a dish Rachael Ray created. The original recipe calls for cheesy waffle fries to be piled on top of the sloppy joes. Since I am watching what I eat, I opted to not use the waffle fries. I also modified the ingredients according to what I had on hand. To save time, I used veggies that are already diced. Do not cut corners and use bottled BBQ sauce...use the ingredients to make your own! This recipe is in my top 5 of things I have made so far.


Makes 4 Servings

1 1/4 lb ground chicken
1 Medium red onion, chopped
1 Small Red Bell Pepper, chopped
3 Tbsp Brown Sugar (I used Splenda Brown Sugar)
3 Tbsp Red Wine Vinegar
1 Tbsp Grill Seasoning
1 Tbsp Worcesteshire Sauce
1/2 Can Pasta/Tomato Sauce
2 Tbsp Hot Sauce
4 Crusty Rolls (or Hamburger Buns)

Directions:

Pour some olive oil, or use a spray to coat a large non stick skillet. Heat over medium-high heat. Add the ground chicken and break it up so it browns evenly.

When the chicken has browned, add the onion and pepper.

While the vegetables are cooking, make the BBQ sauce. In a bowl, combine brown sugar, vinegar, grill seasoning, Worcestershire Sauce, tomato/pasta sauce, and hot sauce. Stir until blended.

When the vegetables become tender, add the BBQ sauce to the skillet. Reduce heat to medium and cook for 5 minutes. Reduce heat and simmer an additional 5 minutes.

If desired toast the rolls/buns. Pile on the sloppy joe filling and enjoy! You will need a lot of napkins!

Note: The sloppy joe mix is even better the next day as leftovers. When I heated up the leftovers I put the sloppy joe mix in a tortilla wrap and it was really good and less messy!

No comments:

Post a Comment