Thursday, June 28, 2012

Eating on a Budget - Can it be done???

One thing I have always struggled with is budgeting my groceries. I either spend an insane amount of money at each shopping trip or go months living with the bare necessities and a lot of eating out - which is not cheap either. Now that I want to start cooking/baking again, I need to lean how to buy groceries without spending an arm and a leg. 

I already shop at either Walmart or Bilo (the cheaper stores). It's hard shopping there since I live adjacent to an amazing Whole Foods store and Harris Teeter, where I could get much better quality produce, meat, etc but they are both so expensive. Now, I make a list and send my fiance so I don't go overboard...he can stick to list, I can't.  The best tool I have found to control how much I spend and still assure that there is a enough food for healthy dinners is Kraft's "1 bag 5 dinners". I choose the "healthy living" bags and it gives you a variety of 5 different dinner recipes in which all the ingredients can fit into one grocery bag. You should check out the site: 1 bag 5 dinners. It's really more like 1 bag 4 dinners because one "dinner" seems to always be a frozen pizza, which doesn't really count. 

I'm still having a hard time with the whole budgeting thing. I'm not a coupon clipper - I tried that and don't have the patience. The closest thing I come to bargain shopping is going to the cheap grocery stores and checking Bi-Lo's weekly add for buy one get one free products and other specials. Any advice would be much appreciated! 

Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment