Thursday, June 28, 2012

Crunchy French Toast Sticks

Normally I do not post a recipe until I have made it, tasted it, and approved it. There's an exception to every rule, and this recipe is it. Since I am a member of so many different food sites, I get at least 30 recipes emailed to me daily. I file them away in a folder and pull them as needed. The other day I made the mistake of looking at the photo for this french toast recipe and I wanted to make it so bad, but didn't have any bread. Sounds crazy...no bread...well my fiance goes through about a loaf every two days....so it's kind of hard to keep in stock.

I love french toast. It was the only thing I could actually make on my own for years. My mom, who passed away almost two years ago, taught me how to make it as a teenager and I could actually make it without burning it, so at one point I made it every single morning!

This is not a "healthy" recipe. It's not a super unhealthy one either.  When I make it, I plan on substituting a few things...like using egg whites instead of eggs, whole wheat bread instead of regular, and 2% milk. If it tastes horrible with my healthy substitutes, I'm just gonna make it by the orginal recipe because a) I need to gain weight b) a little bit of unhealthy in moderatin is okay and c) you have no idea how much I love french toast!

Normally, I would just eat these Crunchy French Toast Sticks plain, or with low fat/calorie syrup (which is disgusting)...but I like the idea of a dab of cool whip and whatever fruit drizzle is in the photo. I'm thinking it's some kind of raspberry sauce, so I will post a recipe to for that too :-)



Ingredients: 4 servings (small servings!!!!)

  • 3 eggs
  • 1/4 cup milk
  • 2 cups corn flakes, crushed (you can buy crushed corn flakes, store them, and they'll last forever!)
  • 4 slices bread, cut into thirds
  • 1 Tbsp Butter
  • NOTE: Upon reading reviews for this recipe, I am going to add cinnamon, nutmeg, and a dash of vanilla to the egg mixture.

Directions:

  1. Whisk the eggs and milk together in a bowl (add cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla if desired). Spread the crushed corn flakes onto a plate.
  2. Dip each piece of bread into the egg mixture and then press gently into the cereal, turning to coat completely. Place the breadsticks onto a plate while breading the rest; do not stack.
  3. Melt the butter in a skillet over medium heat; cook the coated breadsticks in the melted butter until golden, about 4 minutes each side. 
  4. Serve with your choice of topping.  
Nutrition Info:
Amount Per Serving  Calories: 204 | Total Fat: 7.8g | Cholesterol: 167mg
 
Call me crazy, but after reading this....it does not seem enough to serve 4 people, at least not as the main course. It would be a nice addition to an egg white omelet. In order for this to be the main dish (and I'm just guessing because I haven't made it yet) I think this recipe really yields about 2 servings. If anyone makes this before me - please let me know how it turns out!

No comments:

Post a Comment